Thursday, April 14, 2011

wi9 [wRiting aCross sCaLe]...


            When thinking back to Jenga 1.0 it’s apparent to see the same aspects and ideas applied to the Jengas tackled since then and are ongoing now in Jenga 7.0. Not only are we bringing together the processes of others, but we’re continuing to expand on our individual concepts. As we continue forward I can’t help but notice my original approach peeking through.

The collaboration between the verticality of team Symbiosis and the off-the-grid like approach of team Pinnacle proved to be fascinating. Fascinating in the sense that our overall proposals were surprisingly similar to my original ideas for my individual unit. As a whole, the idea of voids and negative spaces verses open spaces were significant to our predominant intentions, while to me this further proved the peeking of my design voice within the group perspective. When designing my unit I chose to use the two solids kit of parts because of a similar reason. These solids, built once then rotated twice to end up with three, were built to perform multiple uses such as housing the bathroom area including a toilet, shower and sink, housing the kitchenette area and housing a study/storage area. The solids act as voids within the space to imply a certain path of navigation with open spaces in between them. When first discussing material selections for our 7.0 structure the idea of natural materials indigenous to our site area was discussed. I chose a related method in I used earthly color tones and natural materials on the floors, walls and solids materials. Our ideas have changed since then so I shifted that similarity into my furnishings.  The use of a large number of glass and steel for structural support steered me in the direction of simple, light and airy furnishings. When I think of glass I think of clear, trouble-free thinking and living so the lucid and straight forward pieces speak an analogous language. The overall movement of our structure is the most significant being that my individual concept word is “revolve”. The slight revolving movement of all individual units within the design reflects the revolution of the solids built into my construction.

                  It is funny how you think you’ve moved on from one point in this, what seems to be never-ending, project only to notice the familiarities within these forever-growing group extensions. After taking a second to think further about where I see my individual design ideas within the whole of our final 7.0 structure I can’t help but detect the glimpses of me and 1.0 there between the cracks. We’ve all seen where it started; now it’s time to bring it on home and end it.

No comments:

Post a Comment