Thursday, September 1, 2011

iNterior LiGhting dEsign.. [[Light and Health]]



Light and Health

     Before I would agree that I find it hard to believe that light can cause health defects. Reading this, “Inadequate light levels are associated with dysfunction in a number of systems including diminished immune and endocrine function and may contribute to problems such as diabetes, reproductive and growth disturbances, and symptoms associated with premature aging (Maestroni & Conti, 1996),” was a huge surprise to hear. I understand that we need natural sunlight to get Vitamin D and other natural nutrients from the sun, but with technology nowadays is it not possible to replicate that? I guess that's the point right, that something natural can't be replicated.
     With that being said, I will now contradict myself in saying that after reading the first article assigned about the affects of light, I can most definitely believe that light can cause health problems. It makes me never want to work the night shift because of the amount of exposure to electric and solar lighting and, of course, the possibility of developing cancer.
     I do agree with the suggestions to better suit and design medical facilities. Those who need rest and sleep to get better should be able to receive that atmosphere at all times of the day. I'm still a bit confused. These medical terms and ideas are new to me. I'm still finding it hard to grasp the idea that certain types of lighting can lead to health problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment