Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Point: Theories

So far, throughout the semester we’ve discussed multiple themes in class. The ones that have stood out to me the most are the powers of three. We’ve discussed multiple theories of viewing architecture using this idea of “the Power of Three” such as Jules David Prown’s; “artifact” (description, deduction and speculation) and Dick Hebdige’s; double meaning, map of meaning and subculture, as well as Roland Barthes’; semiotics, ideologies and signs. To me however, Vitruvius’ Commodity, Firmness and Delight are the three I can best understand.
Although, since the 18th century commodity, firmness and delight have, I’m sure, changed meanings or the meanings have been broadened, what I took from this lesson was this: commodity refers to the function of the architecture. Does it fit the purpose intended, not saying that there has to be one overall purpose for something? Does the space or artifact function well? Have the ides clearly been conveyed within this space or within this artifact? For firmness, this refers to structure. Is the structure of the space or object built well? Is the frame functional and safe? This is sort of the bones of the operation, the inner arrangement. Finally we have delight which is different for every person discussing this. There may be some similarities but all in all it will be different. Is the structure of the object esthetically pleasing? Is it enjoyable and pleasant? Does it give you that warm, fuzzy feeling on the inside? This is a personal and internal decision. Architecture is built for people, If it’s not enjoyed it’s almost like a waste of time and resources.
An object to me that I feel satisfies commodity, firmness and delight is this cardboard chair called “the wiggle chair” designed by Frank Gehyr. It’s made of corrugated cardboard and although I have not sat upon it, so the delight actually might not be there, I still find it very appealing. After reading a little about it they say it’s quite soft to the touch and very stable. This chair reminds me of one built by a classmate of mine Corry Mears last semester. I have sat on his chair and found it to be an interesting experience. I cannot compare the two because, again, I haven’t sat on the Gehyr chair but it helps give me a general idea.


As I lay in my bed at night I can’t help but to think back when we learned about the aedicule. This has been a concept that’s stayed with me since it was first introduced a few years back. I truly believe that all basic forms of architecture started with this simple design of four columns and a roof. To take a turn, I also believe that three columns could be just a sturdy if we refer back to the powers of three. So far history and theories has introduced new ideas to me about architecture. Its one thing to see architecture through your own eyes but to be able to view it through a multiple of others is amazing.

http://hubpages.com/hub/the-art-of-recycled-furniture; 2010

4 comments:

  1. I think you took a firm understanding of the section. I like that you proposed many questions and explained them all. I liked your chair example. To me, when I see this chair, I notice that it fits the curve of the back well while elevating the legs as one slides back to sit. The elevation causes a sense of satisfaction and rest as no weight is upon the legs. Corrugated cardboard provides its own cushioning through airspace. The soft curves of the chair mimic the texture and comfort ability. This is an excellent example. I enjoyed reading your post and contemplating the picture posted. Good Job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you did a wonderful job explaining and showing that you have the understanding of the power of three. I like how you referred back to ideas that had to do with your own personal experience and how you related classmates of your own to another design. It was good explanation and shows that you have a good understanding of what was discussed thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job!
    It seems you have a great understanding of the topics we learned and really know what your talking about. Basing your discussion on the powers of three was a very smart decision cause there is so much to talk about. I like the way you introduce differing perspectives and insights and talk about which one really stuck for you. Pulling in the wiggle chair showed how these theories can be applied to design of many things, not just architecture. What also was really well done is how you took commodity, firmness, and delight and showed how you yourself interpreted it.It overall met all the requirements and was very nicely wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you appreciate commodity, firmness, and delight. I agree, that they are great ways to look at architecture, and all are great aspects of design. If you really think about it, you want a space to be all three of those things. You want to enjoy the space, but you also want the space to be functional and useful for all the reasons it is the room that it is. Great point to talk about the powers of three! They can really be applied to almost anything.

    ReplyDelete